This is my closet:
Isn’t it terrible?
This is what I want it to look like:
(click the photo to check out 36th Avenue’s awesome blog and DIY projects!
Pure inspiration :-)
Okay so I know the photo is of a mud closet and not a clothes closet, but this is the vibe I am going for. Clean. Simple. Maintainable.
SO I did what any planner would do: RESEARCH.
Here are a few tips I learned that helped me in my closet makeover:
- Everything needs to have a “place”
- Use closed bins to store clothes and other items. That way even if they aren’t perfectly folded, they are tucked away unseen.
- Avoid putting things on the floor. This includes shoes!
- Clear plastic bins are a great way to store and stack shoes neatly and still be able to see them well.
- On the upper shelf, avoid stacking more than 2 things high.
- If you haven’t worn something for one season, toss it. Don’t hold on to it thinking you’ll wear it next year, because it won’t happen.
So, with these 6 things in mind, my closet went from this:
I had a gift card to Container store where I got these:
I ordered this dress bag on Amazon Prime, to save a few $
Also, I limited myself to 20 shirt hangers and 10 pants/skirt hangers.
The 6 cube white organizer is from Target
The bins I got for buy 1 get 1 free at Fred Meyer to store my folded clothes
and the black & white bag I splurged at Container store
with the little extra $ on my GC,
which i use to store all my scarfs, gloves, small purses, and other loose accessories
My original plan was to reuse my cute black and white flower bins I got from ikea a few years ago, but when I went to get 3 more, they no longer carry them. So instead I moved them to our front closet to store gloves, hats, scarfs, etc. That closet isn’t finished yet either but the bins helped quite a bit already!
The one thing I didn’t have time to do that I really really wanted to do was to paint! I also need to work on the top shelf a little more. But that will just have to wait for another day and another blog post.
Overall I would say that my January project is complete! :-)